Tuesday, March 27, 2012

27th March 2012

Well then, for the enlightened I’ve obviously been on Deal Pier today. And I met the famous TV star, Stumpy the Turnstone. Or was it? BBC’s Autumnwatch visited Deal Pier in 2010 and filmed such a one-legged bird apparently surviving completely normally. For sure this one appeared quite happy, hopping around with another bird. And it is the mating season so why not be happy? I’ve just been watching a pair of Wagtails fluttering feathers everywhere just outside my motorhome window. Maybe the one leg condition is hereditary and not caused by an accident? But whether I met Stumpy or Son of Stumpy I have no idea as this condition may well be quite common. I felt quite star-struck! Hey, that guy on a push-bike looks just like Paddy Ashdown… what do you mean ‘never heard of him!’?

Yes I’ve had a very relaxing day, after a really good night’s sleep. I love the peace and quiet of campsites, though the woodpigeons started the day off in fine voice, before clomping around on my van roof! That woke me up. But I’ve thoroughly enjoyed myself, spending the morning immersed in my book before tackling a little church project I’d been asked to resource. A happy hour on my laptop and that was sorted. I’m very happy working for the church even on holiday though part way through my daughter texted ‘I’m on the pebble beach in Brighton, where are you?’ That made me feel a little guilty as I was stalling doing the same even though the weather is amazing. It was mid-afternoon when I eventually wandered down to the shoreline after strolling around Deal, and then I realised I’d done the right thing. I was exhausted, really tired and had the beginnings of a bad head coming on. I just can’t do that much. But as much as anything I believe it’s grief related, and I shed a few tears as I was walking around the local Sainsbury’s.

I’ve actually discovered the most perfect remedy for a broken heart. I simply fall on my knees and sob as I tell the Lord how much I love him and need him to help me. Then after just a few minutes I feel fine and quite ready to move on. Maybe I should give myself permission to do just that in the middle of the supermarket! But in the meantime I have a fall-back to help me survive, my iPod. Yes, full on in shuffle mode and that’s serious escapism with my new headphones. We celebrated our wedding anniversary a couple of years ago in Liverpool, so now I have several Beatles albums. And ZZ tops, Eric Clapton, Rodrigo y Gabriela and the Best of British Folk all mixed up with Matt Redman, Chris Tomlin, Tim Hughes, Barry Segal, Robin Mark and so much more. I’ve only recently explored shuffle mode and enjoy the unpredictable leap from Bruce Springsteen’s ‘Froggie Went a Courtin’’ to Delirious singing ‘Majesty’ in Bogota Stadium. It takes my mind of things. Until I find space to pray to the most famous person ever. Jesus!

Psalm 55:22 Give your burdens to the Lord, and he will take care of you.’ (NLT)

No comments: