Sunday, September 16, 2012

No Real Surprise

It’s too easy to take great privilege for granted. Like my photo, taken at Croome Park a couple of years ago. Yes, I’ve visited loads of National Trust properties over the years and sort of expect fabulous views to appear at every turn. I seem to remember it rained on this particular excursion, but what a great vista to compensate! And technology seems to move on and on and on, seemingly without limit… I well remember my first ‘digital’ watch, many, many years ago. It was basically a wind up thing with little flaps that ticked over every minute. Weird. Almost as much as the really enormous communicators visualised in early Star Trek, and imagined as cutting edge technology 400 fictional years in the future. Ah well, I prefer my slimline Samsung any day. But don’t we absolutely take these things for granted nowadays?

One thing I never want to do is take God for granted. Yet I suspect that’s exactly what I do over and over again. There’s always a natural inclination to take co-incidence as just that, rather than overtly acknowledging divine intervention. So last week I was 200 miles away listening to a church message presented by a complete stranger to my home church. The talk was very much about God presence 24/7, with the obvious consequence of living with that reality. So I ‘heard’ the Lord talking to me about 100% devotion to him and all his ways. Of course this morning, back in Derby, I listened to the very same message; albeit wrapped up in a rather different package. So am I surprised? No, not all as I’ve experienced this many times over the years; so much so that I expect that there are churches all over the world preaching a parallel theme this very week. Given that the Lord is speaking so clearly, at least to me, dare I ignore the challenge? My journey with God over the past 30 years has been so very precious in so many ways; he has truly given me a wonderful life, and I owe him everything! So the least I can do is to share my everything with him, to use as he sees fit. Whenever, whatever… I will seek and serve him.

A few days ago I made a passing comment to an acquaintance at church; I have few responsibilities with no job and no wife, so I’m in a very privileged position with only the Lord to please. But I need to get real on that, don’t I? Maybe that would release real heavenly surprises in Dave’s world. Truly living God’s way rather than mine…

Romans 12:1-2 ‘And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him. Don’t copy the behaviour and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.’ (NLT)

No comments: