Monday, October 08, 2012

A Day of Rest


Sometimes good intentions are just not enough. So maybe 6 months ago my son tried to book his annual leave and found the earliest available date was October. Not much of a summer holiday for him then, but that’s what happens when you’re in temporary employment. We first discussed a trip to New York but he decided he’d rather save money for a car, and ‘I’ll take you on a camping holiday’ explains why I have company this time around. We both enjoy being in Deal, which is a little strange as there’s nothing here really. Just a sleepy seaside town on the way to nowhere. So here we go then with a lovely photo of Deal Yacht Club! And we decided rather foolishly to ignore the weather and take a stroll along the seafront. Didn't work at all well as we basically got soaked within a few hundred yards, despite waterproofs and a large umbrella. A bit like yesterday, when I ignored the advice of the campsite manager to pick a hard standing pitch; well there really didn't look much of a problem on a gently sloping grass pitch, where I parked only a month ago… until I tried to move forwards and discovered the seemingly dry surface was actually waterlogged. And I got well bogged down causing damage with wheel ruts until eventually recovering to tarmac. Humble apologies sufficed, as being end of season the guy wasn't too fussed.

So 4.30pm on a rather wet October day my son is now thoroughly enjoying himself… fast asleep on my motorhome bench whilst I’m playing with this blog post. We’re both happy. Who cares about the weather, sometimes just a change of scenery is all we need to enjoy a break. And yes, I can hear birds singing, I've seen rabbits chasing and squirrels running and all is well with my world. Tomorrow promises to be a little drier. And a quick shopping trip provided cheap DVD entertainment for this evening; called Lionheart, it’s a tale about King Henry ll. I love to immerse myself in a good historical book or movie, but I've never heard of this one, so we’ll see. My son is good company anyway… especially when he’s not snoring! And I sure need a rest after a few days of ill health and a 4 hour+ journey to get here yesterday. Maybe 15 miles from our destination and perfectly timed with the Japanese F1 on TV in mind, traffic police suddenly closed the duel carriageway dumping us onto a narrow country lane without explanation. Ah well, sometimes you just have to let go of trying to make things happen and simply go with the flow.

Psalm 119:105 ‘Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path’ (NLT)

No comments: