Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Swan Dive

Success invariably follows failure, though perseverance and determination must be in the mix somewhere. I remember talking recently of trying to capture a photo of birds in flight, and since then I've remained particularly aware of that small ambition. On rare occasions over the past few years I've had varying success, and my proudest shot is a massively blurred, rather distant, photo of a barn owl taken a minute after it swooped right by my motorhome at only head height. Yes I was busy drinking coffee and it took too long to get my camera out! Anyway, I faithfully carried my camera around up until yesterday when low cloud and drizzle had me more focussed upon keeping dry. My camera free walk began with one of nature’s most extraordinary sights, an adult swan in full flight over Kedleston Lake, impressive it was. Honestly! A short distance on, maybe 50 geese swept overhead at fairly low altitude and then simultaneously ‘crash-landed’ in the lake. Love it! Keep walking David. Ok, not in flight but next I happened upon a swan simply walking around, stretching his amazing neck in front of one of the giant hearing trumpets by the lake. Could have taken a great photo and dreamt up some sort of caption for sure. Then a coot and partner repeatedly hopped and skipped across the lake trying to become airborne. Very nice! My walk finished back at the lake with a flock of at least 100 pristine white small gulls swooping around and around the lake. So I guess you could say my photo exploits are a bit of a ‘bummer’ as week old shots of a swan grubbing in lake sediment are ten a penny.

It may well be an urban myth but the story of Edison’s 1,000 failed light bulb experiments, before eventual success, has to be an encouragement to persevere. Apparently he is accredited as the 4th most prolific inventor in history so he must have done something right. So if it stops raining I’ll take my camera and have another go; though if nothing else the autumn colours are beginning to look quite amazing. So now I've managed my 5th 3 mile consecutive walk, which for any normal fit and healthy person means absolutely nothing. Those with even moderate me/cfs like myself will understand a little more of that achievement. I’d like to manage 21. Let’s see what happens; so far so good and no swan-dive for Dave just yet.

Romans 5:3-5 ‘We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love.’ (NLT)

No comments: