Wednesday, October 26, 2011

26th October

Well that’s a relief. It’s been a couple of weeks since I last felt well enough to walk far, even though that last experience did me a lot of good. And I’d begun to wonder if the progress in health I’d made over the summer was about to slip away, so today I simply set off on my 3 mile route, through the woods at Kedleston, to see how far I could get. And it was absolutely no problem; I really am much stronger physically than I was earlier this year and may consider taking up swimming again fairly soon to round off my new fitness regime. After lunch I called in to check up on Jane’s mum in her new home and found that she was doing fine, with lots of visitors to keep encouraging her. Technology seems to baffle her, so we have to keep explaining how the door intercom and her phone work but hopefully she’ll get used to them soon. I’ve no idea if she’s tried the electric shower yet, but at least she says she can remember how to work the remote for her satellite box to listen to Christian TV. I think she’ll be alright once she settles in so that’s a relief as well.

The real encouragement of the day came as I was on my walk. Although it was a little chilly and somewhat muddy underfoot I really enjoyed myself. I’d downloaded the latest Chris Tomlin album to refresh my mp3 player so with the sun shining overhead all began to feel well with the world again. There’s something about the joy of the Lord which counters the pressure of difficult circumstances, God is quite simply bigger than any problem that we could ever have.  More than that, the joy of knowing his salvation at work in my life, despite the apparent difficulties to be faced, is enough to release happiness from deep within my heart. And now I feel strong again, ready to face whatever challenge the new day brings my way. It would be nice if it was something pleasant though.

An interesting challenge came across my path recently in the form of an invitation to join a sponsored trek to Everest Base Camp in Nepal. Now things like that I tend to automatically dismiss as impossible, and I’m not really saying I would dream of considering it. But… maybe I need to see my life differently, today I may have a disability with M.E. that limits my activity, but should that restrict my dreams for tomorrow? Is my ill health too big a problem for God to overcome? I’ve known those who’ve made a complete recovery so why not me? I am determined to fight ill health by not just managing the condition but reaching out to the Lord for his favour and his healing. I will not remain ill for a day longer than he allows, I will dream dreams and I will put no restrictions upon the call of God upon my life. The trek in the Himalayas may not be part of God’s call next year but, for sure, I do have a mountain of grief to deal with. And that particular challenge will to be conquered!

Mark 11:22-23 ‘Then Jesus said to the disciples, “Have faith in God. I tell you the truth, you can say to this mountain, ‘May you be lifted up and thrown into the sea,’ and it will happen. But you must really believe it will happen and have no doubt in your heart.’ (NLT)

No comments: