Saturday, October 08, 2011

8th October

So what’s it to be then? ‘The Holiday’, ‘A Good Year’ or the always engaging ‘Chocolat’. ‘Amelie’ also worked out well but then so did ‘Twelfth Night’ and ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’. And what about the laugh out loud ‘Taming of the Shrew’ with Richard Burton and Liz Taylor… far superior to even the John Cleese stage version. Then there are the ‘nicest’ and most innocent movies of all time ‘La Gloire de Mon Pére’ and it’s sequel ‘Le Chateau de Ma Mére’. I sort of wonder if a lifetime list of favourite films is in need of a re-write, now I no longer have anyone to cuddle whilst watching them. Anyway it’s Nachos and Popcorn with my 24 year old son. And the movie choice? Thor! But that makes a change from the new Star Trek which Jane enjoyed with my son and I not so very long ago.

It meant we needed a trip to Asda this evening to buy the DVD and whilst we were there I managed to perform what was actually my second good deed for the day. At one stage I could hear a woman calling out repeatedly for her lost son and then an announcement with suitable description came over the store PA. The little lad had crawled onto a bottom shelf and was cheekily hiding, curled up right at the back almost out of sight. I stood guard as it were while mum was fetched to reprimand the villain. I suspect it wasn’t the first or last time he’d escape their clutches though! And this afternoon we had a phone call from my eldest daughter who’d tried to move her computer to a new location and ended up with a video card problem. A dig around my computer spares and a short 2 mile journey meant I could perform my other good deed for the day. So all in all I feel as though I’ve been at least a little useful to somebody. And that has to be good.

This morning I had the privilege of two very lengthy phone calls to two different people who needed to talk about Jane and that has to be good as well.

1 Samuel 26:23 ‘The Lord gives his own reward for doing good’ (NLT)

No comments: