Friday, December 16, 2011

16th December


Well this evening I realised how incredibly blessed I actually am. But I really struggled for most of the day… it was pretty horrible to be honest and quite challenging. It started with a little mistake yesterday, whilst I was child-minding, when I held my 3 year old grandson’s hands in my left hand, and my 5 year old grand-daughter’s hands in my right. I then did what any normal parent would do and lifted them both in the air for a little swing. Unfortunately I’m not their parent, I’m their grandad and need to act my age. I pulled a muscle in my back didn’t I… silly man! I have experience with this sort of problem as 20 years ago I ended up in hospital with a ruptured disc. And though I made a full recovery, I am so aware of how careful I should be and obviously wasn’t yesterday. Anyway I’ve been in a lot of pain all day and found it almost impossible to get comfortable. At one stage I thought I’d have to spend the day walking around as sitting was so painful. The real challenge though was that this evening was the carol singing thing in Kilburn and I was booked to play guitar. I had a decision to make about whether to cancel, or proceed and take the risk of further injury. I decided to continue.

And so that’s how I ended up counting my blessings. The evening began with a couple of sessions within a residential care home. So all of a sudden we were singing and having quite a laugh with a couple of dozen elderly folk. But they sure needed the care they were provided as they were probably all suffering from immobility problems and some with mental health issues as well. Quite a few were obviously very old and rather poorly. One guy needed to be seated nearer the door as they were waiting for a doctor to come and see him. I really enjoyed being there and they all had a good go at joining in the carols as well. That was my third visit there and it was a privilege to share their evening. As for the carols around the streets, it was very cold and trying to rain with a little sleet in the air so not so comfortable. And my fingers started to go a little numb playing guitar outdoors. Whatever… I just like playing for the Lord in whatever situation I find myself in. The mince pie and cuppa were welcome as the local Baptist Church opened it’s doors for us later on.

Although a little uncomfortable right now it seems my back will be fine. I need to be careful for a few days though, and the meeting I play on Sunday will need me to take my guitar amp, so I think I need help for that one. But it’s all wonderfully engaging and suitably distracting so I’m happy. And I feel like I’ve done something useful, hopefully brightening up the lives of a few old folk living in circumstances far worse than my own.

Matthew 25:31-40
“But when the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit upon his glorious throne. All the nations will be gathered in his presence, and he will separate the people as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will place the sheep at his right hand and the goats at his left.

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’

“Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’

 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’ (NLT)

No comments: