Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Dealing With Everyday Life

We all thrive on encouragement, yet as often as not we find our most difficult days depend upon simple perseverance to see us through. Through gritted teeth and holy muttering, raw willpower must needs suffice. Yet the alternative and much easier route of simply giving up would get me nowhere. Yes I’m talking about my M.E. journey and how I deal with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. So today I was encouraged with a particularly lucid reminder of how this devastating condition affects folk. Revelation TV aired a programme on the subject - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HqRmUCXnUg&feature=g-all-u - interviewing a Christian guy who has almost identical symptoms to me. Just watching this normal looking person talk helped me realise how others must see me. The only give away was that part way through he began to blink as he apparently struggled with concentration and maybe light sensitivity. I know exactly how that feels. Sometimes I have to lie down, on the floor even, and remain totally immobile for at least a few minutes to recover. I normally don’t of course, but many times I’ve found myself leading worship in church trying to look normal, when on the inside I feel absolutely terrible. Like the worst dose of flu ever… for over 13 years. So it was good to listen to this guy determined to make a difference by helping others in a similar situation. I’m not alone.

But no matter the challenge, ultimately only faith, hope and love can carry us through. I believe we need all three… take even one out of the equation and everything begins to feel very different. Having God at the centre of our life is the real key to successful living, as any faith and hope can only truly be meaningful when focussed upon Jesus Christ. And of course he is love personified, the greatest of all gifts to mankind. So when I feel really ill he is always only the briefest of prayers away from revealing himself to me. And when presented with opportunity to serve or simply enjoy others his so very gentle touch guides my heart; sometimes I can say no. With clear conscience. Other times I say yes, grit my teeth behind willing smile and mutter a prayer for strength and heavenly help, before enjoying whatever deed is set before me. With total confidence that I am doing the right thing, even if I pay the price of a few days recovery. But I remain determined to engage with life, no matter the personal cost. I love to work and despite the strain on health I love spending time with people. So one day (soon?) I’m trusting the Lord for complete healing and restoration.

Done it again… half a thousand words without mentioning Jane. D’oh!

Matthew 7:13-14 ‘Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.’ (NIV)

No comments: