Wednesday, November 07, 2012

A Matter Of The Heart

On a cloudy day we rarely see a rainbow; yet when troubles overshadow, true Godliness may be revealed. Some days are very ordinary, nothing special happens, and yet within, a heartfelt cry longs to see God at work. I love to see a rainbow on a rainy day and oftentimes associate a double arch with extra special blessing; yet this most visible of God’s promises is actually quite rarely seen by me. Yeah, I suspect I'm usually indoors or looking the other way when they appear! I love the sunshine and being outdoors, it makes me feel so much healthier… and happier, but in the UK many days are actually very similar to my photo, and just a little dull.

So where is the Lord in all this? I believe He lives in the hearts of men, at least when invited to do so. So when the often present challenges of life seek to overwhelm, the infinitely caring power of God is right there, as close as the next heartbeat. And that is where the Christian journey must begin; a heartfelt recognition that the natural desires of the heart are inclined towards independence, completely self-centred and in rebellion against God. The Bible calls that sin. Yet within every man, woman and child lives a measure of goodness, yes Godliness, that if nurtured recognises the claims of Christ as perfect truth. This then is the battle within… do we work things out our own way; pursuing earthly pleasure, dreams and understanding with no real regard for God’s will. Or do we seek the Lord for his purpose and his pleasure for our lives. Yes, I believe that all who genuinely seek the Lord will find him and that hearts will be ‘strangely warmed’ by his presence. His goodness can truly fill us with a peace that conquers every fear, and overcomes every doubt. And it begins with the smallest seed of enquiry… ‘seek and you will find me’ says the Lord.

Ezekiel 36:26 And I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony, stubborn heart and give you a tender, responsive heart’ (NLT)

No comments: