Thursday, April 19, 2012

19th April 2012

By Ckuhl (Own work) [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0) or GFDL (www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html)], via Wikimedia Commons
The funny thing is that, over the years so many folk have said how much I look like Eric Clapton that I guess there must be some truth there. I’ve even had strangers approach me in the street calling me by his name! It was easier to spot when I had short hair, I guess, but the guys quite a bit older than me, so I’m not sure how to take it. I do play guitar and even own a very similar instrument to the photo, but unfortunately I’m not quite up to his world class standard and truth be told neither is my guitar. Even so I can play a number of his acoustic style tracks, though whilst they’re recognisable, they are certainly not exact reproductions. But I love playing the blues and appreciate his gift, so that’s ok. I recently discovered something else we have in common… he is a man of faith. I make no claim regarding the form of spirituality that he embraces and have no idea about any recent church affiliation, but apparently his autobiography reveals previously hidden facts. He grew up attending a local congregation of the Church of England and developed a minimalist faith there. Over the years his troubled and particularly tragic life has been well documented but, commendably, in more recent years, he has chosen to begin and end every day on his knees… humbly praying to God, asking for help and giving thanks. When asked why he does all this, his response is ‘because it works!’ I totally agree. And Mr Clapton appears to now be happily married with a family of 3 adoring daughters to enjoy. I’ve been down that pathway, it was great! Ok, it’s reported that he just spent £3million on a special project Ferrari… I’m still waiting for that in my life. Or maybe not.

But we do have something else in common. Some years ago he wrote a song for his Reptile album with stunningly poignant lyrics… ‘All I know is since you’ve been gone, I feel like I’m drowning, drowning in a river of tears’.

That sums up today quite perfectly. I’m missing Jane and the sadness is quite intense. I’ve not really stopped crying all day.

Matthew 5:4 God blesses those who mourn, for they will be comforted.’ (NLT)

No comments: