Thursday, April 26, 2012

26th April 2012


By TechGizmo [CC0], via Wikimedia Commons
To be content with one’s lot in life is always a challenge. And every marketing managers nightmare… yes there’s a niggle inside me at the moment as I consider the next gadget to add to my collection. Not so long ago my 2G mobile, super-slow desktop pc and absolutely enormous small screen TV met my every need in that department. Then I made the mistake of engaging with the ‘real’ world of technology and learned to understand desire in a new way. Sometimes I think it’s spelt l.u.s.t. and that is an ungodly instinct I find easy to recognise whenever the latest shiny black gizmo is set in front of me. Actually, that is often the only reason I can truthfully find for parting with my several hundreds of pounds, so that helps in deciding what I should buy and what I shouldn’t. So right now I’m thinking about tablets. The only sensible choice is between Apple and the still playing catch-up Android. But though iPads are beautiful to use they’re hopelessly complicated to interact with if no App is available. I’m not sure about playing catch-up so maybe a compromise with a new mobile; they do clever stuff don’t they? I’ve only ever done PAYG, so a contract might open a door in that direction and then I would have options regarding my house phone…

It’s so easy to justify purchasing what is basically an expensive toy. My laptop works fine and my hand me down phone has 3g and wireless now so I needn’t hurry. Nokia Apps are almost non-existent but there you go, I have more important things to think about. Don’t I? Yes, I’ve lost my wife, I’m a widower and I’m lonely. That’s a far bigger issue than any lack of electronic wizardry. I may be progressing with my grief journey and getting used to the idea that Jane has died, but I just haven’t settled to the idea of remaining single for the rest of my life. I hate it! So much so, that I sometimes find myself daydreaming, trying to imagine ways to meet a new special person and then who knows what might happen. I’d be quite happy just to have a friend to talk to right now. But it’s not like shopping for an iPad… you can expect they’ll be obsolete in a couple years and ready to be discarded. Not such a big deal at all. Relationships are far more complicated.

There has to be another way of living. Truth be told I don’t find it that hard to ignore technology, it’s not that long ago that the only mobile phones you saw were Star Trek communicators. And I well remember the birthing pains of dial-up internet access. But dealing with loneliness is not so easy. Somehow I have to persevere and keep my focus upon the Lord, he will guide my steps and open doors that need opening. The last thing I should do is try and make things happen in my own strength. Hey, what about the Galaxy S2 running Ice Cream Sandwich; maybe there’ll be a really good deal when the S3 is released?  

Sometimes I can’t help myself…

Philippians 4:11-13 Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little.  For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.’ (NLT)

No comments: