Sunday, April 29, 2012

29th April 2012

This little scene brought tears to my eyes this afternoon. Yes, this is a corner of my hall that had a special touch from Jane. The two oil paintings were done by my oldest grand-daughters a year or two ago, so as an artist Jane obviously gave them pride of place. I seem to remember she even gave them the paints and canvas to do the deed. And the framed artwork was a gift from my daughter for Jane’s very last birthday… I can’t imagine we’ll be counting our age in heaven, somewhere down the line we’d run out of fingers for sure! It contains a very special craft activity organised for my whole family; we all made a small square felt ‘thing’ with all manner of patterns and shapes. I created a tree, Jane a heart and so on. My grandkids often look at it and remember that special day with Nana, pointing out their own work. I have a video as well. That’s fine, but this afternoon the two little one’s were crawling around trying to put their wet weather gear on and all of a sudden one of them managed to find the little battery switch for the lights. I’d forgotten they even existed. And that made me really sad. The whole ornament thing with curly wood and neon lights was Jane’s project. I never understood it, though I’m quite happy to leave it there, despite regularly knocking it over. My grandkids totally get it though! Somehow Jane was always able to tune into ‘children’s world’, she’d always have something prepared for their visits. Today I felt inadequate as I read ‘Five Little Kittens’ for the umpteenth time. I can’t understand why I’ve only got one suitable book to read to them, but have no idea how to go about getting another. I don’t even know if I need to. Maybe Jane has a hidden supply somewhere. By the time I get organised they’ll be all grown up and not interested anyway. I find it so hard to tune in when they’re not visiting.

But, and it is a big but, we still seem to get on well. I may not be a qualified child-care professional as Jane was in her early career pathway, but I do know how to fill my cupboard with a whole selection of treats. On offer today I had Twix, Kit Kat, Cadbury’s Mini Roll and Jaffa Cakes. Alongside, Kiwi Fruit, Bananas and Strawberry’s… all organic of course. Then their eyes nearly popped out after I gave them a glimpse, just a glimpse mind you of a speciality Swiss Roll made with fresh cream. So after a taste of chocolate, one tackled Pear and Butterscotch the other Greek Style Honey Yoghurt, again organic. Apparently they were quite posh!

Truth be told, I remember last year one of Jane’s final instructions was to make sure I always had something in for the grandkids. I’m trying. Maybe too hard, but they all seem to like calling round and I always make sure I ask mum’s permission before opening my cupboard door. Daft question really, as both mum’s are quite happy being at the front of that particular queue!

Proverbs 17:6 Grandchildren are the crowning glory of the aged’ (NLT)

No comments: