Friday, May 20, 2011

20th May

Today’s been a ‘dopey’ sort of day; Jane’s been visiting Planet Zog all day being totally spaced out with morphine. We hate it. And she’s become quite helpless being unable to stand unaided simply to transfer from one seat to another. Talking has been difficult for some time now but today her speech has become slurred and a little muddled… but only a little. It’s very distressing.


Jane’s new Macmillan nurse called this afternoon and I found that very helpful. She explained how some of Jane’s drugs worked, probably using exactly the same words that every other nurse and doctor had used several times previously but for some reason the penny dropped. Strange how that happens sometimes, and I seem to have been visiting three different chemists for prescriptions twice a day all week… a bit of a nightmare when I have to get a sitter to look after Jane and she sometimes struggles to cope with the thought that I’m not there. Ok so all of a sudden I deal with one chemist sited within 50 yards of our GP and very happy to obtain and then deliver prescriptions to our door with a simple phone call. I’m not quite sure how that happened so easily but it did and is wonderful.

I’m not really sure where Jane’s been today but I found myself dreaming a little as well. It’s not a particular anniversary we normally think about but it’ll be 40 years next month since Jane and I had our very first date. She was rather brave in accepting my invitation of a day trip to the coast as we barely knew each other, although she was a good friend of my sister. But it’s not the sort of date where you can ditch the potential boyfriend after a half-hour appraisal! So glad she didn’t do that... and in my dream, an impossible dream, I’m thinking wouldn’t it be nice to recreate that first date and have a trip to the coast. Maybe not Mablethorpe this time… what about a drive down the French Atlantic coast? And I’m sure our motorhome would cope admirably with the Pyrenees and then we could go for a paddle in the Med! Oh and along the way, just before the Dover ferry, we’d spend some time on Deal beach our absolute all-time favourite in the entire world… even if it is shingle! Now that’s my dream.

Habakkuk 2:2-3 ‘Then the LORD answered me and said, record the vision and inscribe it on tablets, that the one who reads it may run. For the vision is yet for the appointed time; it hastens toward the goal and it will not fail though it tarries, wait for it; for it will certainly come, it will not delay.’ (NASB)

No comments: