Monday, August 15, 2011

15th August

Ok, so I know I’ve overdone it. Not only do I feel exhausted but the headaches have started again as well, but it was worth it. A day out with my grandchildren at Shugborough Hall. I really enjoyed myself and refuse to allow bad health from stopping me from having such a privilege. And they did all the country estate things with 19th century characters… grinding salt in the kitchen, cleaning clothes in a dolly tub, ironing with a cold iron, making pancakes on an open fire, milking a wooden cow and playing with curds and whey to make cheese. But I was so glad of the road train to give a lift back to the car park. Jane would have loved it… but she’s a little busy elsewhere at the moment.

So I started thinking of Jane in a new way today. I realised that there have been many thousands of days when we were apart for at least a few hours, and maybe half a dozen occasions when either Jane or I went away for a few days on business. So then, when we were apart how did I feel? I obviously knew that we’d meet up again in due course and felt no concern at all. And as I was occupied with my own business I can’t see that I would even have missed her particularly. So today I know Jane is perfectly safe and occupied in a very special way with the work of heaven. And one day we will meet again, so as long as I keep my attention on today and don’t get too wrapped up in the next days, months or years of separation I’ll be fine. Today was a busy day, a good day and Jane’s simply gone ahead to where she’ll be waiting for me to join her sometime. That’ll be good, but in the meantime I have some business here on earth to attend to!

Matthew 6:34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. (NIV)

No comments: