Saturday, August 06, 2011

6th August

So then, another birthday and another visit to Dover Castle. And somehow it felt like a totally different experience and equally enjoyable. This time it was my eldest daughter’s celebration and she wasn’t around earlier in the week so we all returned to the castle again and I’m rather glad I joined English Heritage and got free admission. And we even managed to picnic with all 11 of us seated in the motorhome, and so I was glad of the driver’s individual seat and a pair of binoculars to look at houses in France as a distraction from all the crumbs on my nice neat floor. I don’t deserve grandchildren to even think of such a thing do I?

After a visit to the campsite and a quick vacuum we all went out for a meal and that was really nice. I was quizzed on our family history which I began to research a couple of years ago when my computer illiterate father started taking an interest in a long lost sister-in-law. His older half-brother was killed in action during WWII after being married less than a couple of years and he’d not seen her since then. A little searching found her still alive and with her second husband living in Portsmouth and that was good. But isn’t the internet amazing? Anyway I spent a happy couple of hours relating family history to quite engrossed children. Do they have Spanish ancestry, or French? Is there a Knight’s Templar commander somewhere back there? How does Charles II and a favourite mistress fit into the picture? What about the Wolverhampton Mander family leaving property to the National Trust and a set of apartments open for use by relatives? I suppose the evidence of agricultural labourers and fisherman is less romantic but more convincing but who knows?

Romans 8:17 ‘And since we are his children, we are his heirs. In fact, together with Christ we are heirs of God’s glory. But if we are to share his glory, we must also share his suffering.’ (NLT)

No comments: