Tuesday, August 02, 2011

2nd August

Well then once again I never saw one, not one. I’m talking about the mysterious bluebirds in the classic White Cliffs of Dover song and I reckon it’s simply a romantic lyric not based upon actual reality, but I know almost nothing about birds. Nonetheless we had a great time wandering along the cliffs, counting the ferries and taking turns carrying my 3 year old grandson. His mum and uncle did the carrying thing as they’re young and I’m not. It must have been one of the hottest days for a long time, a real scorcher with no wind even though we walked along the cliff tops. And that had me feeling a bit funny as I suffer slightly from vertigo, so plenty of butterflies but still no bluebirds. I have to admit I struggled a bit with the walking as it’s certainly not a level pathway, and it really was very hot, and so I was quite glad we had a young child to slow us down. It’s been one of my favourite walks for a few years now and I loved coming here with Jane.

My son-in-law is a braver man than I am. Only he and my grand-daughter had passports with them so off they go as day visitors on the ferry to France. I’ve done that particular outing a few times over the years but never with sole responsibility for a 5 year old and that’s the scary bit. They survived and my grand-daughter came back hyper so she must have enjoyed the day practising her merci’s. I deliberately left my own passport at home as on reflection I knew that particular excursion would trigger so many memories of Jane and I spending time on our own continental adventures… it’s so difficult knowing I no longer have Jane to share new experiences with. We only ever made Paris the once and that city was next on our list and I can’t imagine how I can ever do that type of holiday again. I haven’t got my head around holidays for the single traveller yet and I’m not sure I’m interested. Apart from the campsite near Deal that is.

Matthew 28:20 ‘And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.’ (NLT)

No comments: