Sunday, June 10, 2012

10th June 2012

I need to stay on the trail, following the signposts. A gap in the trees helps me see where I’m going, and it doesn’t look that far… all I have to do is climb over a few fences, avoiding any barbed wire the local farmer has decided to employ and I’ll get there more quickly. I’m sure I can cross the ditch and a rather high wall I know about, no problem. But that’s not what I do, so it’s the long way round for Dave. And I’d much rather walk through the woods than across a grassy meadow any day. Playing Hopscotch with sheep droppings is not my idea of fun! The last time I walked here I got caught in a thunderstorm, so I did take the short way back across a field though still ended up rather damp. Today was great and felt wonderfully peaceful as I walked with God as my companion. And I was more than happy to walk the long walk; indeed if I wasn’t still carrying a foot injury I’d have been tempted to tackle a second trail in a different direction.

Then, as I walked it seemed to me that the Lord spoke. For many years, even decades, I worked incredibly hard. Too hard… yes overwork is quite probably an ingredient in my becoming ill with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I remember a school report, when I was aged about 11, using the word conscientious and wonder if I’ve taken it a little too much to heart. I’ve always tried to do the right thing by other people and only most recently tried to look after myself just a little. I still instinctively push hard though. Today the Lord was talking about entering his rest. Obviously a principle I’ve tried to adopt for many years, but the difference now is that God is speaking, it’s not just my understanding. And his words have life. This morning my church pastor preached and made an interesting observation about children. They’re totally dependent upon parental support for their care needs. So a good parent will provide food, shelter, education, friends and all the rest of it. The very young can do nothing to help any of that. I’m guilty of doing too much in my own strength, I need to let go and let God look after me as a child would. Where he leads I will follow, the work I see him doing I will do. No shortcut by climbing fences taking my own idea of a route through life; I need to stay on God’s trail. That’s the plan anyway!

Psalm 23
The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need.
He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams.
He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths, bringing honour to his name.
Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.
You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies.
You honour me by anointing my head with oil.
My cup overflows with blessings.
Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever.’ (NLT)


No comments: