Tuesday, June 26, 2012

26th June 2012

There’s something very Godly about embracing brokenness… for a season! The tree in my pic has gone way too far though and for sure there’s no way back! Occasionally over the years I’ve come across people who’ve been assaulted by great personal challenge, maybe through bereavement or otherwise broken relationship. Many have struggled to deal with financial disorder or sexual compulsion. Others are damaged with a basic lack of social skills, and then some just have a downright bad attitude. I love to come alongside those who genuinely desire change, though I’m not sure about my staying power if I sense that I’m being used. Yes I’ve seen far too many become trapped for years, unable to move on for whatever reason. Usually a deep seated mental block that demands a revelation of truth and release of power from heaven itself. Third party prayer and counsel often help for a time, but permanent change is sealed when we take personal responsibility and reach out to the Lord ourselves.

When confronting the need for change in an area of challenge we all can benefit from a little support. Sometimes a little sympathy and encouragement is all we need to motivate a step in the right direction. I feel a little like that today. I do have a few people around me, encouraging, sympathising and I could be in a far more difficult position than where I actually find myself. Yes I feel like the tree in my picture right now as if all the good things in my life are a bit broken. I know that’s not true, and I’m not talking about my wonderful family and friends. But that’s how I feel. Broken. So, again, that’s not necessarily a bad place to be in. For a season. I can be stubborn bloke. Aren’t we all? And I do try and work things out… all the time. I’m no longer a young kid, I’ve done a lot of stuff, I have mature skills in lot’s of different areas. I know how to fit a kitchen, change a car engine, double dig a veg patch and lead several hundred worshippers into the presence of God. Give me a rock band and I’ll teach them a great version of Good Golly Miss Molly! Give me an interview and I’ll agree a financial plan for the whole of your life complete with introduction into God’s plan of salvation for the afterlife. Ok, my financial services product licence has expired but I’ll do the second bit no problem.

But sometimes we need to lay down our earthly understanding and just meet with God. I can do things my way or I can do things God’s way. My way is a lot better than when I was a young man and believed that Gaffa Tape, WD40 and a 13mm spanner could mend almost anything. But nothing compares with yielding to God and his complete understanding of every area of life. I’ve spent a lot of time with the bereaved, I know a lot of stuff. Right now that’s not enough. I need the Lord. And the less of me there is to hinder that which he would do in my life the better. I’m a broken man. And that’s a good place to be. I don’t want to patch myself up, just to get by. I want to be made whole, to live life to the full, to embrace love and joy and peace and hope and every good thing that the Lord sets before me. Only God can do that.

John 3:30 He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less.’ (NLT)

No comments: