Friday, June 15, 2012

15th June 2012

“Come on kids, it’s time to do a runner! You see that guy over there, the one with a camera, he sure looks like trouble!” If I thought raising 4 kids was a challenge, how about this pair with double that number? Obviously they don’t know me very well, as even though Canada Geese may be seen by some as Britain’s most loathsome bird, I quite like them. Apparently they mate for life, and they’re obviously protective of their young. I love to see them flying and honking in their large V formation, so I guess they have some sense of community as well. I’m not so keen on the mess they make of every local park though, yes they can be a bit of a pest. But it’s not their fault; I blame King Charles II for introducing them in the first place…

I’ve had another good day, though borderline doing too much. I’ve been decorating again, so once I get geared up and start painting it’s annoying to have to stop before finishing. I did pause for a couple of hours, part way through, after I felt a prompt from the Lord. So that was good. Then some very welcome news as the post arrived. It seems I’ve dodged a bullet myself today! After years of walking with Jane through countless interviews, giving results from scans looking for cancer, I found it rather challenging to voluntarily place myself in the same position. Ok it was only an age related routine screening as I have no related symptoms whatsoever. Nonetheless I stalled engaging with the offer for several weeks after it came through the post. I just couldn’t face it. Last week I did feel a prompt to just get on with it, so I did. And today a letter arrived giving me the obvious all clear. It may not sound like a big deal, but I guess I’m still a little traumatised after spending so many years supporting Jane in that world. Christian rock band Delirious wrote a song with a verse related to chemo, and they used a very powerful phrase which I find helps when facing any fear… ‘Stare the monster down’. No matter what we face there is one who is greater than every adversity. His name is Jesus and I choose to be carried in his arms of love.

1 John 4:4 You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.’ (NIV)

No comments: