Thursday, June 14, 2012

14th June 2012

No matter the challenge, press on through. Yes, my path was seemingly blocked this afternoon by a herd of miniature cattle, each one still approaching half a ton and including at least one bull. Those horns at the back sure look sharp and one has a nose ring, so maybe more temperamental… naah, a bunch of softies these are, though I really wouldn’t want to get into an argument with any of them. I’ve had a good day today, aside from my walk I’ve managed to achieve quite a lot back at home. Painting my staircase, followed by preparation for the next section. But it feels very satisfying being able to tackle a much needed job and I can’t wait to get on with it tomorrow. And I do feel quite well now, so the trick will be to make sure I don’t overdo it. Activity management is the key, though the greatest challenge, as always, is simply saying no when temptation to live normally is set before me. Slow but steady. One day, I’ll break out of the dreaded Chronic Fatigue Syndrome cycle of ill health.

Prayer is one of my biggest challenges. I suppose the disappointment of losing Jane after so much prayer, from so many people all around the world has had not a little effect upon my perseverance in that arena. But I do persevere. And will continue to do so, for sure. So, I’m reminded that there was once a man who always prayed perfect prayers, and those prayers were always answered, completely perfectly. I’m obviously talking about the Lord Jesus and a couple of interesting events in his life come to mind. In Mark 8 we read of the time he healed a blind man, and the first attempt was only partially successful. It took a further step to completely restore the man’s eyes. I find that encouraging. I will persevere.

On another occasion Jesus asked his Father to save him from the most terrible ordeal that would lead to his own death. In the Garden of Gethsemane just before his arrest, he knew he was facing execution and prayed for deliverance. Not just any prayer either, as such was his fervency he even burst a blood vessel! Yet throughout this greatest cry of prayer he prayed ‘Not my will, but yours’. Sometimes God’s purposes are greater than any suffering we may face and our prayer must always seek God’s will over our own needs. I don’t find that easy.

Luke 22:41-44 ’He walked away, about a stone’s throw, and knelt down and prayed, “Father, if you are willing, please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.” Then an angel from heaven appeared and strengthened him. He prayed more fervently, and he was in such agony of spirit that his sweat fell to the ground like great drops of blood. (NLT)

No comments: