Thursday, June 07, 2012

7th June 2012

I keep thinking a Hobbit might appear just around the next bend… was the amusing aside made by my friend as we walked into yesterday’s thunderstorm. And on reflection I reckon that expectation, or even just the hope of a new encounter is a big part of the attraction of my woodland walks. No, I’m not thinking about Hobbits, I've long decided that I need to keep walking until my life changes… ok right now it’s more of a hobble as I have a puzzling problem with one of my feet. But I still keep going, though very slowly and with not a little pain. I need to meet with God, and for me getting back to nature is the absolute best way to quieten the complicated distractions of 21st century city life. I love the peace and quiet, the fragrant smells and the beautiful birdsong that follow me everywhere. Occasionally, the rousing hum of gathering insects has me scurrying along, but really that is the only threat. It’s my safe place.

My hope is that one day I’ll reach a crossroads, with an option to change direction. Maybe it’ll be the Lord whispering ‘go do’, maybe he’ll send someone to help me see and hear more clearly. Whatever, I will change direction! My heart burns with a desire to honour God and serve the needy in some way or other. I can still do stuff, so that’s my plan. In the meantime I’ll make music in my heart and sing to the Lord with my whole being; yes I’ll keep walking, just got to get around the next bend…

Genesis 3:8 When the cool evening breezes were blowing, the man and his wife heard the Lord God walking about in the garden.’ (NLT)

2 comments:

drawingcloser said...

Hey there friend! You keep reminding me to slow down. I'm glad for that cause life goes by crazy fast! It was in the quiet on the mountain that Elijah heard the stil small voice. May we ever hear His voice. God bless you bro

Yohn

David Paine said...

Oh yes... I remember the 55 hours a week at work and then 4 kids waiting at home and a worship band to prepare for! But I guess there are few who walked closer to the Lord than Elijah... so it's encouraging that even he had to work hard at hearing God's voice.