Saturday, June 09, 2012

9th June 2012

We should be careful about where our food comes from. Sure, I guess these swans are designed to feed by poking around in the mud at the bottom of an inky black lake. But we’re not! Over the past few years I’ve become more diligent in trying to understand the food I eat; though is true to say my perseverance is often governed by my emotional well-being and the quick fix of processed food. My focus quite recently was upon a cancer recovery diet and also understanding Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I’ve never had a weight issue, so my aims lie elsewhere and I eat an organic vegetarian diet, with fish and dairy. In practise I’m almost teetotal, drinking limited coffee, fruit juice and as much bottled or filtered water as I can manage. I’m really trying to limit my toxic intake whilst eating a fairly balanced diet. I’m a newbie cook but I’m getting there.

A greater challenge is my faith journey. And I must ask the obvious question… is Jesus truly at the centre of my life and do I really care about the needs of others more than my own? Then, what about my inner purity? I rarely watch TV and few movies as they lead me down a pathway I don’t want to walk. Too much bad language, graphic violence and sex. No way do I seek to condemn or judge others, that’s none of my business; I just know I’m not strong enough to cope with regular exposure to a lifestyle that’s not for me. No matter the entertainment value. I find it too easy to become desensitised and accept unacceptable behaviour as normal. But what am I feeding on? Do I really want to become like so many of the hero figures portrayed in such media? Or do I want to become more like Jesus and prepare myself for a life in eternity… in heaven there’ll be no bad language, violence or sex in our entertainment. For some reason it seems that such content is not just acceptable, but necessary, and much as I might enjoy it I know it’s not good for me. A bit like too many cream cakes with pizzas and beer and whatever…

Matthew 4:4 Jesus answered, “It is written: Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.”’ (NLT)

No comments: