Tuesday, June 19, 2012

19th June 2012

It’s a Dickens of a choice, whether to pick up Great Expectations or stay with Bleak House. Mind you the interloper Treasure Island sounds fun as well. I could just do with an adventure like that. Yes let’s sail away to a tropical island, chase off a few pirates and work out if X really does mark the spot. Ok, maybe not just yet, as today really does feel quite bleak. I’m really struggling with Chronic Fatigue again. Everything has to come to a halt when I’m this ill, and I’m seriously fed up. I need engagement, even simple entertainment would be welcome. Playing Tower Defence on my phone may pass the time, but it sure is a waste of time. For me anyway. Though I’m not gonna let the thing beat me! At least I have plenty of books to work through, and I do enjoy reading. But don’t get the wrong idea… these are really Jane’s books and not exactly my choice. My taste tends to change from time to time, but basically I’ve landed quite squarely in sci-fi, judging that extreme escapism is excusable for a season. Mind you, the Science Fiction folder on my Kindle now has 69 full length novels in it and I’ve read almost all of them in the past 12 months. Perhaps it’s time to move on to a different genre. Or even a different occupation.

I’m fed up living in a Bleak House and feeling down. I’ve never actually read the book though I have watched the TV adaptation, at least a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed it; but one thing struck me, the house named after the book title was misnamed, for sure. It just wasn’t at all bleak, despite the troubles of those living there and certainly compared with any of the other homes portrayed. And that was down to the wonderfully generous and caring benefactor who owned it, and yes he had a lovely gentle spirit. My life may well have been blighted by premature bereavement but that is not the whole picture. Of course Jesus Christ is the true head of my life and the main influence upon the atmosphere that I seek to live in. I will live with hope, and peace and not a little joy… and I certainly have great expectations for the rest of my days. The best is yet to come, especially as I’ve just found Treasure Island in a freebie folder on my Kindle!

James 1:5-8 If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking. But when you ask him, be sure that your faith is in God alone. Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind. Such people should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Their loyalty is divided between God and the world, and they are unstable in everything they do.’ (NLT)

No comments: