Thursday, June 30, 2011

30th June

Well that’s one more mountain I’ve climbed. One man and his motorhome is on holiday, but it wasn’t easy. I knew I had to do it and I woke quite spontaneously at 4am this morning, which I’ve found to be a good time to set out and beat the M25 traffic. So what did I do? Turned over and went back to sleep that’s what I did, and boy did I feel rough. I just couldn’t cope with the thought of going away on my own. I’ve never done it in my life and it’s not the journey as I’ve done a few long journeys on my own, it’s just being alone for a few days with only my thoughts for company that I find scary. Can I be good company by myself? We’ll see but I don’t expect so I must admit.

Anyway come about 8.30am I sort of forced myself to get going and went trundling down the M1 for the longest journey I’ve ever done. I had a couple of breaks and there were a lot of roadworks, so time-wise it took four and a half hours which is a bit more than usual but not bad for 220 miles. It felt like I’d been driving for days as every mile had it’s own memories of the countless times I’ve done this trip with Jane. I remember back in 1972 driving the length of the M1 with my car struggling a bit only to realise when I parked up I’d left the choke partially out for a hundred miles… can’t do that nowadays. At one time Jane became quite competitive in driving our 3 ton motorhome and for the early morning runs she insisted on doing the first stint down to the M2 in Kent. I was allowed to drive the last 40 miles and handle the on street parking! I remember she’d get me to take photos of the early morning mist and sunrise which back home she would use as inspiration for paintings. All good memories but not easy knowing there can be no more, not for a while anyway…

Oh yes I burst into tears whilst trying to book in at our all-time favourite campsite. But the nice lady behind the desk was so kind when I explained about Jane. No stiff upper-lip for me.

Revelation 21:4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away. (NIV)

No comments: