Wednesday, May 23, 2012

23rd May 2012


There are some things that money can’t buy, and some things you really shouldn’t buy. When I came across these two little beauties earlier today, that got me thinking. It sure could be fun to own a small boat like one of these, having complete freedom to wander up and down the coast and who knows, on a calm day maybe dodge across one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world and visit ‘La France’. Or not! Yes, I saw the Top Gear special and learnt how not to cross the Channel as an amateur. I know absolutely nothing about boats, other than that I’d probably get seasick rather quickly. And I once had a conversation with a guy who’d just passed his first stage qualification as some sort of seaman; so looking at all the different types of buoys floating just of shore, you can pretty much guarantee I’d hit a wreck, or get stranded on the Goodwin Sands within an hour of setting sail. Ah well, nice idea, I’ll stay with my motorhome for a bit longer.

I’m not a particularly affluent guy, having been forced to retire at 47 and no inherited wealth has come my way either. But I did work hard and now own some stuff, like my house. And of course I’d give it all up and start again if I could have Jane back. No brainer, but that’s just not going to happen any time soon. Likewise, when we were fighting for Jane’s life if the right treatment had been offered I’d happily have sold up and found another way of living. Some things are just not for sale though. Likewise love. True love; the joining of two lives, becoming one, and sharing in both the pleasures and troubles that always come our way as we journey through the years. We enjoyed a wonderful unity… made all the more complete as we shared our lives with the Lord. Truthfully it was the love of God that knit our hearts together, firstly with him and then with each other, in a way that we could never have imagined. So, there were many times Jane and I would find ourselves arguing, yes we really did, but always the Lord would pour out his love into both of us and before we knew it, his joy would surface and we’d find ourselves giggling at the silliness of our ‘little’ differences. I sometimes found that annoying as always I wanted to win the argument, but I was always so very grateful that we never ever let a day end without making up with a hug and an apology. To one another and to God. Then we’d have another pretend argument as we each tried to take the blame…

Romans 6:23 ‘For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.’ (NLT)

No comments: