Friday, May 25, 2012

25th May 2012

What a wonderful day to be alive, and what a beautiful place to spend it. Yes, as I write this I’m in a car park on top of the White Cliffs of Dover. Hey, I get 3g here so why wait until I get back to my rural campsite and it’s time consuming data connection? So then, I’ve had a great walk along the cliff top and it’s not that far to reach the South Foreland Lighthouse; apparently the site of the world’s first international radio transmission. The partner station was in Wimereux, France. Nonetheless, as often happens in this area, when I approached said Victorian lighthouse I received a text informing me that I was now in France and to be aware of my change of tariff. Maybe that invalidates Marconi’s world first claimJ. Really though, I guess mobile signals have yet to find a way to reach through a cliff face and the French signal has no such limitation, albeit over 20 miles away.

I enjoyed my walk, it was great, but life still feels very strange. As though I just don’t belong anymore. No matter the pleasures set before me they pale into insignificance compared with the treasure of heaven. And of course I have complete assurance of my place there… but so have many, many others of rather different belief system. Last week I spent an evening helping a friend who is running an Alpha course, and so I sat in on one of the sessions. It’s a long time since I’ve been on this course and I always find it stimulating. What struck me was the fact that there we were, half a dozen people in a 21st century lounge, discussing a man who’d lived and died 2000 years ago. I can’t imagine any other man who’d create such interest after so long; especially as similar groups to ours would be meeting, running the exact same Alpha course in many nations of the world. Right now. He split history in two, BC/AD, and made complete the Holy Bible which has it’s own incredible history. With time and space I could say a lot more on this subject but suffice it to say I put my trust in Christ alone when it comes to my place in eternity. And I seek to live by his word… the Bible.

2 Timothy 1:12 ‘for I know the one in whom I trust’ (NLT)

No comments: